A burned chair frame is left after the CZU Lightning Complex fire crept on to Amber Turpin's Bon Lomond property.
A burned chair frame in Ben Lomond after the CZU Lightning Complex fires.
(Kevin Painchaud / Lookout Santa Cruz)

Fire recovery continues with two new housing-related initiatives

Santa Cruz County has announced two efforts to help residents displaced by the fire.

More than 100 Santa Cruz County households remain without permanent housing nearly four months after the devastation of the CZU Lightning Complex fire.

This week, Santa Cruz County announced two efforts to help residents displaced by the fire find a new home or rebuild what they’ve lost.

Landlords needed

The first initiative is a call to action for local landlords to provide housing to people displaced by the fire. These residents are eligible for FEMA funding which can cover as much as 150% of market-rate rent for up to 18 months after the fire, and can be used within 50 miles of Santa Cruz County.

Landlords interested in making their spaces available to CZU victims can fill out a survey here.

Fire recovery permit center

The county has also opened a new permitting center to help residents who need to rebuild after the CZU fire. The center will offer technical assistance, a streamlined permit process, and other forms of support in rebuilding.

In a press release from the county, Planning Director Kathy Molloy said they are encouraging residents to begin working with the permit office as soon as possible.“By having these conversations early, we can help fulfill our mission of making the rebuilding process as smooth as possible for residents impacted by the fire.”

Interview with local artist Irene Juarez O’Connell and MAH’s upcoming free exhibition opening, Community is Collective...

Officials also provided the following information on how to access the new permit center:

To schedule a virtual appointment, call 831-454-5323, email RPC@santacruzcounty.us, or self-schedule a virtual appointment by visiting http://rpcappt.timetap.com.

Limited in-person appointments are also available if needed. For more information, go to: