Internships - Social Media
Social Media Internship
Lookout Santa Cruz
Community & Commerce Team
Lookout Santa Cruz is a digital media site whose fundamental mission is to serve Santa Cruz County with a new and higher standard of news, information and community engagement.
Serving trustworthy local news and information using social media and other digital platforms is a key part of Lookout’s mission. Lookout Santa Cruz is well diversified in its distribution channels, reaching emerging audiences through platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Apple News, Newsbreak and more.
We now open one position for a smart, savvy social media intern to creatively support and advance this important audience engagement work, which fits well into Lookout’s overall model.
Lookout Santa Cruz has begun the local news reboot that communities around this country need now more than ever. Founded by news analyst Ken Doctor in late 2020, its innovation is being watched around the country — both in its mobile-first local news product and service, and in its borrowed-and-scaled-down business model from the New York Times.
In our current social, cultural and political climate, it is now more important than ever before for all citizens — especially those who mainly consume news through social media channels — to have easy access to reliable and trustworthy journalism about their local community.
The Social Media Intern will work with Lookout’s Community and Commerce team, the group of five responsible for breaking new ground in mission-directed, community-centered business and audience development.
What you would be doing:
Support Lookout’s audience engagement through social outreach, media production, administrative tasks, and in-person opportunities with projects that could include:
- Creating original photo, video and graph-based content for various social media mediums, including Instagram Reels and Stories.
- Finding new and creative ways of showcasing the work of our correspondents and editors.
- Participating in web management and updating Lookout’s robust online platform.
- Tracking and analyzing social media data, which inform future content decisions and campaigns.
- Working closely with other Community and Commerce interns on business initiatives that cut across roles and responsibilities.
What we’re looking for:
A tech-savvy person who can help us reach the audience of now and the future, and be sharply focused on that mission — particularly through engaging readers through social media.
A creative problem solver. Being solutions oriented is critical to Lookout’s culture and plays an important role in our decision-making process.
A detail-oriented team player. Assignments will range from social media posting and management to analytics and content strategy development.
A self motivated individual with great communication. You have identified the things that drive you — and sometimes wake you up in the middle of the night — and you are planning to go places in this burgeoning new media landscape.
Bonus points for …
- Bilingual English/Spanish
- Experience working with social media campaigns
- Experience with analytics tools and key metrics/KPIs
- Expertise and ideas in TikTok, Facebook and Instagram best practices
- Knowledge of web development and production
- Familiarity with video production and photo editing
If you’re looking for these things, you should apply:
- A fast-moving digital media business environment
- Learning about digital tools/software that now power digital business operations
- Meaningful experience that will grow your skill set and resume
- A startup environment where everyone has a voice and helps formulate every part of the business (yes, even interns).
- A collaborative, ever-changing work environment where no one day is quite the same.
How to apply
Please email a letter explaining why you’re interested in working with Lookout along with a resume with references to these four addresses: