Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 57525
Benefits to working at UC Santa Cruz include:
- Medical, Dental & Vision Care Insurance Plans
- UC Retirement Plans
- Group Term Life Insurance
- Legal Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Paid Holidays plus accrued vacation and sick leave
- Meal Allowance
The University of California has implemented a Vaccination Policy covering all employees. Employees, including new hires, are required to comply with any applicable policies relating to the University of California’s COVID-19 vaccine program.
HOW TO APPLY
For full consideration, applicants should attach their resume and cover letter when applying for a job opening. For guidance related to the application process or if you are experiencing difficulties when applying, please review the Applicant Resources on our Talent Acquisition website.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. Materials submitted after the IRD will ONLY be forwarded at the request of the hiring unit. To ensure your application is routed for consideration, submit your materials before 11:59 p.m. on the IRD. Talent Acquisition cannot accept application materials outside of the jobs portal, and is unable to update submitted applications on an applicant’s behalf, or forward communications to the hiring units. For more information about the IRD and the applicant review process, view this link.
The IRD for this job is: 08-24-2023
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It’s known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus’s DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Colleges, Housing and Educational Services (CHES) is a multi-funded organization within the Division of Student Affairs and Success (DSAS), at the University of California (UC) Santa Cruz. CHES provides leadership in the areas of college student life and residential services, housing services, facilities, capital planning, dining services, conference services, early education services and business and financial analysis for these areas. Through these units, educational and developmental programs and services are offered to all members of the campus community including students, faculty, staff, children and external constituents. CHES provides on-campus housing and dining services to nearly 9,500 undergraduate and graduate students in ten residential colleges and six multi-college affiliated residential communities which support single students and students with families. UC Santa Cruz Dining is instrumental in the success of our students as well as providing services to staff, faculty and guests of the campus. Our mission is to be committed to: creating a diverse, safe, fun and trusting environment for our guests and team; building an innovative dining program providing high quality service and food while embracing social, nutritional and financial responsibilities.
More information can be found at: https://dining.ucsc.edu/
Under the supervision of the Bakery Manager and/or the direction of Senior Bakers, the Dining Baker prepares assigned baking recipes for all UCSC Dining residential, retail operations and other events, providing the highest quality of service to the customers. As directed, Bakers prepare and finish baked goods while ensuring health and safety guidelines.
Budgeted Salary: 22.67 / hourly
Under California law, the University of California, Santa Cruz is required to post a reasonable estimate of the compensation for this role. The salary shown above is the budgeted amount the University reasonably expects to pay and the salary extended should not exceed this posted amount.
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: to be determined
- Shift Includes: Day, Evening, Nights, Weekends - to be determined
Employee Classification: Partial Year Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: Service Employees (SX)
Job Code Classification: BAKER (005503)
Travel: Never or Rarely
60% - Baking
- Prepares assigned bakery items following recipes and production sheets. Follows standard HACCP principles of food preparation, safety and sanitation in food production.Bakers will prepare baked goods from scratch including quick breads, yeast breads, pastries, cakes, baked desserts, and pies. Incumbents will weigh, sift, measure and mix baking ingredients; add shortening, yeast, leavening agents, seasoning, water and milk; prepare ingredients and bake bread, rolls, cookies, pies, cakes, biscuits and puddings. They will operate ovens and maintain appropriate temperature levels, place items in ovens and remove items from ovens when properly baked.
- Bakers will apply appropriate toppings when needed, may prepare desserts, fillings and icings. Bakers of all levels may decorate cakes, cookies, pastries and other desserts, and will prepare baked items for presentation.
- Bakers may work independently to prepare standard baked items and following cycle menus.
- Bakers make recommendations to Senior Bakers or managers on problem recipes and/or modify recipes as with approval.
- Participate in ongoing customer service programs including possible interaction with customers. Completes service records at the end of meal periods or shifts.
20% - Quality Assurance
- The Baker will perform taste tests for quality assurance, ensuring that the recipe specifications of prepared products have been followed and meet expectation for serving at the designated locations.The Baker will batch bake items as appropriate and will store products and leftover product properly and to maximize quality. May plan usage for leftover product.
- Prepares and dates food samples taken from service.
15% - Safety and Sanitation
- Ensures the cleanliness, safety and sanitation of designated storage and work areas, large and small equipment and utensils used in food production. Cleans equipment, work tables, sinks and drains in kitchen areas. Sweeps and mops floors in kitchen areas. At closing and as directed, cleans all equipment, countertops, and table tops; empties all trash, recycling and compost cans. Cleans restrooms to include but not limited to washing sinks, counters, walls, and mirrors. Washes commodes and urinals and mops floors as per current practice and procedure.
- Works in a safe and responsible manner while not putting others at risk; includes complying with applicable policies and regulations, using personal safety gear, observing warning signs, learning about potential hazards and reporting unsafe conditions. Independently and safely uses, assembles, disassembles the use of any kitchen equipment. Identifies problems with equipment and reports to Senior Baker or Management.
5% - Other Duties as Assigned
- Works according to assigned schedule to ensure product availability and in order to meet bakery delivery needs.Interacts with customers, answering questions relevant to the Bakery or bakery products.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge and expertise in a variety baking techniques and recipes prepared for a Food Service or Bakery operation as is appropriate to the level of the job
- Experience in skillfully preparing a variety of baked products and desserts.
- Ability and experience in preparing recipes of a complexity appropriate to the job level and in performing multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Communication skills and abilities sufficient to interact with customers and co-workers and, as appropriate, direct other staff and provide training to less experienced staff
- Knowledge and experience in the safe operation of a variety of kitchen equipment found in a bakery.
- Knowledge and experience in increasingly complex levels of high-volume baking.
- Knowledge of safety techniques and procedures for food preparation, storage and service.
- Knowledge of merchandising and presentation techniques for baked goods.
- Ability to taste products for quality, accurately estimate food requirements, check production and keep records in order to accurately produce baked goods.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and make informed decisions in a fast-paced working environment with constantly shifting priorities.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member and to maintain a professional work environment.
- Ability to work independently and in a collaborative team-based environment, maintaining a professional work environment.
- Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Bilingual in Spanish/English, or willingness to learn
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- All employees must be able to pass the UCSC Dining Food Handler Card test within 90 days of employment, or already in be in possession of a California Food Handler Card or ServSafe certification upon hire.
- Ability to move kitchen equipment up to 50 pounds with or without accommodation.
- Ability to work a variable schedule including early morning and weekends. Overtime may be required based upon operational needs.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtainedhere.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to ‘My Activities’. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process. View full job description and apply online here.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.