Internships - Newsroom
Newsroom Team Internships, 2021-2022
Lookout Santa Cruz has begun the local news reboot that communities around this country need now more than ever. Founded by news analyst Ken Doctor in late 2020, its innovation is being watched around the country -- both in its mobile-first local news product and service and in its borrowed-and-scaled-down business model from the New York Times.
Lookout’s newsroom team of eleven, when fully staffed this fall, serves as Santa Cruz County’s largest newsroom. We see it as our mission to become the primary news service of the county and to connect the dots on the many issues before our communities.
We are hard-charging, non-partisan and comfortable working at the pace of non-stop digitally delivered, mobile-first journalism
We cover a wide spectrum of topics, from the usual government and politics, education, health and culture to the environment, social equity and community betterment.
Our newsroom welcomes and has deep experience working with interns. Dan Evans, Lookout’s new executive editor, arrives after a journalism teaching stint, where he directed the South Florida News Service, working heavily with students.
What our interns do:
Lookout Santa Cruz has begun the local news reboot that communities around this country need now more than ever. And we’re looking for smart, savvy, digitally minded interns to help us keep imagining, building and iterating the local news business formats and storytelling that drives a local news revival free of hedge funds.
If you’re looking for these things, you should apply:
- A fast-moving digital news environment
- Learnings about digital tools/software that now power news operations
- Meaningful experience that will build skills and resume
- A startup environment where everyone has a voice and helps formulate every part of the company (yes, even interns).
- A collaborative, ever-changing work environment where no one day is quite the same.
What we’re looking for:
- A passion for revived, meaningful local journalism.
- Tech-savvy. We need to be reaching the audience of now and the future, and be sharply focused on that mission — particularly the mobile experience
- Motivated. You have identified the things that drive you — and sometimes wake you up in the middle of the night — and you are planning to go places in this burgeoning new media landscape
- A detail-oriented team player. Assignments will range from digital platform management, event and analytics management and business development.
What you would be doing:
Work with Lookout’s newsroom, its editors and correspondents, on reporting, data, cultural events and visual storytelling.
- Specific emphases will vary, depending on an intern’s abilities and knowledge and the needs of Lookout.
Bonus points for…
- Good social media skills
- Demonstrated creativity in story idea creation
- Digitally driven research abilities
How to apply
Please email a letter explaining why you’re interested in working with Lookout along with a resume with references to these three addresses: