Reports to: Executive Editor
Supervises: News Correspondents, Visual Journalist
Location: Santa Cruz, Calif.
Lookout Santa Cruz is looking for an energetic and digitally focused newsroom leader for its next Managing Editor, working with new Executive Editor Dan Evans. We are a different kind of news organization, one that is focused on helping our readers and viewers understand the issues that make Santa Cruz a fascinating, beautiful, and complex place to live.
Though journalists may sometimes need to point out what’s wrong or not working, Lookout also provides deep and thoughtful analysis on how to make our community more equitable and vibrant.
We also want to foster a close-knit and fun newsroom, and the ability to both direct and listen is key. Stress is sometimes part of the job, but the person we’re looking for is one who can set and make sure that realistic expectations and deadlines are met.
If that sounds like you, take a close look at our publication and personnel – including the open positions. Afterward, send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org that addresses the following:
- What you would do as Managing Editor in both the short and long term.
- A challenge you dealt with as a newsroom leader and how you dealt with it.
- Your web production, interactive, analytics- and audience-based decision-making and photo/video experience and how you would utilize these skills at Lookout.
You should have at least seven years of journalism experience, and at least three as a newsroom manager. Knowledge of Santa Cruz County and proficiency in Spanish is preferred but not required.
What you’ll be doing
Working with the Executive Editor and other members of the editing staff, the Managing Editor will work to make sure our work focuses not just on the “what,” but the “so what?” This involves developing an overarching news philosophy and coverage plan, one that uses our news resources wisely and provides a mix of quick-hit, breaking news as well as longer-form analysis and enterprise.
The Managing Editor will have direct oversight of the news correspondents, helping them develop their writing and digital skills as well as deepening their abilities in enterprise and data-based reporting. Working with the Visual Journalist and editing staff, he/she/they will develop workflows for photo, video and interactive assignments.
Additionally, the Managing Editor will have oversight of editorial newsletters -- including Morning Lookout, Lookout PM and BOLO -- ensuring timeliness, consistency and overall quality. He/she/they will assign members of the editing staff to produce these products, though may be called upon to personally create on a backup basis.
On a day-to-day basis, the Managing Editor:
- Runs news meetings, ensuring story mix and volume is at needed and appropriate levels. Creates and enforces expectations for beats and individual reporters with an eye toward graphical, video, and interactive elements.
- Oversees work of Visual Journalist, making sure reporters are timely and regularly filing assignments. Pushes for short video pieces to accompany news pieces as appropriate, working with Deputy Managing Editor on sports and features coverage.
- Serves as main editor and first read of news coverage. Produces and publishes same, alerting Executive Editor regarding controversial or otherwise concerning pieces. Provides regular – formal and informal – feedback to writers he/she supervises. Advises Executive Editor of personnel or quality issues.
- Creates schedule and expectations among all reporters for digital-first featurettes, including Q&As, explainers, and the like.
- Creates schedule and expectations for both institutional and individual social media accounts for editorial employees.
- Works with Executive Editor on editorial hiring decisions. Serves as Executive Editor in that person’s absence. Works with Opinion Editor on newsroom budget issues, advising Executive Editor of same.
- Produces and publishes any and all newsletters as needed on a backup basis.
Benefits and Application
The Engagement Editor is a full-time Lookout Local employee. We offer competitive employee benefits.
Lookout Local is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Please apply, with cover letter and resume to email@example.com.