Internships - Community & Commerce
Community & Commerce Team
Lookout Santa Cruz has begun the local news reboot that communities around this country need now more than ever. Founded by news analyst Ken Doctor in late 2020, its innovation is being watched around the country -- both in its mobile-first local news product and service and in its borrowed-and-scaled-down business model from the New York Times.
Lookout’s Community and Commerce team breaks new ground in mission-directed, community-centered business development. Our team of three strategizes and deploys our earned revenue initiatives across these key lines:
- Membership development and retention, including sophisticated analytics work and member-centered events, in alignment with our local journalism. Our early work has produced an on-target number of new members, the great majority of them annual, and paying a significant $187, while Lookout tithes 10% of membership fees to worthy local non-profits. We work a sophisticated funnel to amass registrants, convert them to members, and now to renew them.
- Local business marketing partnership and advertising relationship development, a highly successful-since-launch program, that has already signed up -- and retained -- 20 marketing partners, all practicing local promoted content storytelling, with us, as we now develop the Lookout Content Studio
- Student engagement activities at both UCSC and Cabrillo College, actively bringing students into the news of the day and active involvement in their communities.
- Social engagement and outreach across Instagram, Twitter and other platforms to introduce Lookout’s content to new audiences beyond referrals and search traffic
What our interns do:
Lookout Santa Cruz has begun the local news reboot that communities around this country need now more than ever. And we’re looking for smart, savvy, digitally minded interns to help us keep imagining, building and iterating the local news business models that fund a local news revival free of hedge funds.
If you’re looking for these things, you should apply:
- A fast-moving digital media business environment
- Learning about digital tools/software that now power digital business operations
- Meaningful experience that will build skills and resume
- A startup environment where everyone has a voice and helps formulate every part of the business (yes, even interns).
- A collaborative, ever-changing work environment where no one day is quite the same.
What we’re looking for:
Tech-savvy. We need to be reaching the audience of now and the future, and be sharply focused on that mission — particularly the mobile experience
Motivated. You have identified the things that drive you — and sometimes wake you up in the middle of the night — and you are planning to go places in this burgeoning new media landscape
A creative problem solver. Being solutions oriented is critical to Lookout’s culture and plays an important role our decision-making process
A detail-oriented team player. Assignments will range from digital platform management, event and analytics management and business development.
What you would be doing:
Support Lookout’s Community & Commerce team through outreach, administrative tasks, and production with projects that could include:
- Tracking and analyzing Lookout’s own KPIs, and those of peer companies, which inform Lookout business decisions and campaigns
- Participating in web management and updating Lookout’s robust online platform
- Supporting production and communication around Lookout events * Supporting Lookout’s sales pipeline with creative lead generation
- Finding new and creative ways of showcasing the work of our correspondents and editors utilizing photos, videos and other visual mediums
- Connecting with the community and students to share the work of Lookout through an engaging social media outreach strategy
Bonus points for…
- Experience with analytics tools and key metrics/KPIs
- Expertise and ideas in TikTok, Instagram and Clubhouse best practices * Knowledge of web development and production
- Familiarity with video production and photo editing
How to apply
Please email a letter explaining why you’re interested in working with Lookout along with a resume with references to these four addresses: