Santa Cruz County’s transit agency is sticking to a June 30 deadline for property owners of two Live Oak mobile home parks to move homes and other structures off land designated for the Coastal Rail Trail. But county officials say they have struck an agreement with one of the parks’ residents to defer any legal action against residents until they can study the issue further.

Last year, residents of Castle Mobile Home Estates and Blue and Gold Star Mobile Home Park received notices from the Santa Cruz County Regional Transportation Commission. The notices said the agency had completed a boundary survey and found that some of the homes within the parks sit on property owned by the RTC that the agency intends to use to build a pedestrian and biking trail and, eventually, for a passenger train.

The RTC gave residents until the end of this June to move homes and other structures — such as fences — that encroach on the agency’s property. If residents do not comply, the commission said it intended to relocate the structures and charge the encroaching part for the cost. While the project isn’t expected to break ground until next year, next month’s deadline is intended to allow time for any legal challenges on issues such as the encroachments.



Tania Ortiz joins Lookout Santa Cruz as the California Local News Fellow to cover South County. Tania earned her master’s degree in journalism in December 2023 from Syracuse University, where she was...