Quick Take

Alex Nunez, the ex-boyfriend of a Utah woman who was briefly missing in Santa Cruz County, denies domestic violence charges and blames a miscommunication between the court and a bail bonds company for his failure to appear in court. Records show his arrest warrant and bail forfeiture remain in effect.

The ex-boyfriend of a Utah woman who went missing in Santa Cruz County last month disputes domestic violence charges and an arrest warrant recently filed against him. 

Alex Nunez reported his longtime, former partner, Danielle Staley, missing on Nov. 6, and weeks later, on Nov. 24, she was safely located. The Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Office arrested Nunez on Nov. 26 and charged him with domestic battery and criminal threats.

After he failed to appear for his first scheduled hearing in Santa Cruz County Superior Court last Wednesday, the court forfeited his bail and issued a warrant for his arrest. 

In an interview with Lookout, Nunez said he didn’t commit the domestic violence crimes. He also claimed it wasn’t his fault that he failed to appear for his court date. He said he was relying on his bail bonds company to inform him of his court date. The sheriff’s office and a district attorney told Lookout they’re unaware of any errors, that the bail continues to be forfeited and that the arrest warrant is still active. 

Nunez, however, says the mistake was made between the court and Gotham Bail Bonds, a company based in Los Angeles. 

“It was between the courts and Gotham Bail Bonds,” he said. “The [bail bonds company] didn’t even receive paperwork from the courts until [the date of the hearing].” 

Court records show Nunez made bail on Dec. 1 and his court date was scheduled then in his bail paperwork for Dec. 3, but still, Nunez says he had “no idea.” The court records also show that the bail bonds company was San Jose-based Tapout Bail Bonds. Lookout called both companies to verify which was the correct bail bonds company but both declined to comment, citing privacy laws. 

Nunez told Lookout last Thursday he was still in California but wouldn’t say where he is because of the arrest warrant. Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Sgt. Zach West told Lookout that Nunez “had made attempts” to talk with detectives by phone and said the office wouldn’t provide more information because the case is ongoing. 

Nunez told Lookout that he didn’t commit domestic battery or criminal threats. 

“She threw salmon that I cooked for her,” he said of Danielle Staley. “And the allegations of me threatening her, they were never threats.”

Lookout didn’t immediately receive a response from the Staley family. 

Have something to say? Lookout welcomes letters to the editor, within our policies, from readers. Guidelines here.

After three years of reporting on public safety in Iowa, Hillary joins Lookout Santa Cruz with a curious eye toward the county’s education beat. At the Iowa City Press-Citizen, she focused on how local...